On this Father’s Day, I wanted to make something special for mine. With all the changes in his life, he ended up having trouble controling his blood sugar levels without insulin. However, he has a sweet tooth almost as big as mine!
So, his present this year were these biscotti, an extremely crunchy italian biscuit but with less sugar, so he can enjoy his little sweets with a coffee after lunch or whenever the day asks for it.
Once again, I made a reels on intagram with the whole process, which you can check out here!
Hope this recipe can be useful to someone who is in the same situation as I am and I promise, even though they’re low sugar, they’re delicious. We still have them around the house but my dad is already asking for more.
Until next time, goodbye!
Biscotti for Diabetics
For the base
- 55 g Sugar with stevia
- 40 g Granulated sugar
- 56 ml Vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs
- 230 g All-purpose flour
- 100 g Cornflour
- 1 + ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Vanilla powder or ½ tsp vanilla paste/extract
For coconut and lime biscotti
- 10 g Coconut
- 1 – ½ tsp Lime zest
- 30 ml Lime juice
For chocolate and walnut biscotti
- 15 g Cocoa powder
- 20 g Walnuts chopped
For mexican hot chocolate biscotti
- 10 g Cocoa powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ – ¼ tsp Cayenne powder
For maple and pecan biscotti
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 25 g Pecans chopped
- 2 + ½ tbsp Icing sugar for the frosting
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- To the vegetable oil, add the sugar and whisk.
- Add one egg at the time to the mixture and whisk well until homogenous.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix it with a spatula until no dry bits are left.
- Divide the dough in 4 portions if you'd like to make the 4 flavours.
- Add the respective ingredients to each dough, exept the ingredients for the maple frosting. Mix it well.
- In a oven tray lined with parchment paper, make a flat rectangle with the dough.
- Bak for 10-15 minutes or until the egdes are turning golden brown.
- Take out from the oven and let cool just enough to handle. Cut each rectangle in thick matchsticks.
- Lay them down on an uncooked side and bake it for 6 minutes. Flip and repeat, until they're crunchy.
- Cool completely.
- With the frosting ingredients, whisk it up and drizzle it on top of the maple and pecan biscotti.