Nice to see you again after my usual break during the school year! This time, I came back with a savoury recipe. WOW! I know!
I bought a block of seitan a while ago and I’ve had this idea for a vegan orange chicken that is sticky, crunchy, bright and overall comforting recipe.
If you would like to see a step by step video that I’m really freaking proud, you should head to my Instagram and I made a reels about it. You can also click here!
This one is a good recipe, really easy to make and a very yummy turn out, so, I recommend you to try it! Until next time, bye!
Vegan Orange “Chicken”
- 250 g Seitan
- ½ tbsp Vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Flax egg 1 tbsp of ground flax and 2 tbsp of water
- Juice of half an orange
- Zest of an orange
- 1 ½ tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp Soy sauce
- ½ tbsp Wine I used Madeira
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- ½ tbsp Cornstarch
- 30 g Cornstarch
- 35 g Vegetable oil
- 2 Cloves of garlic I had to use garlic powder
- 1 Green onion
- Sesame seeds optional
- Make the flax egg.
- Tear the seitan into bite size pieces.
- Add the ½ tbsp of vegetable oil, salt and the flax egg to a bowl with the seitan pieces and mix.
- Add the orange zest, juice, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, wine, sugar and the ½ tbsp of cornstarch to another bowl and whisk it up.
- Add the rest of the cornstarch to the seitan and mix it. Don't expect the coating to be even, it doesn't have to be.
- Add the remaining vegetable oil to a pan and heat it up, until it's smoaking. Spread the seitan in the pan in a single layer.
- Brown the seitan in one side, flip it and get to the other side.
- Transfer to a plate with a bit of kitchen paper, so it soakes up the oil. Let cool.
- To the pan, with residual oil, add the garlic and the green onions and stir fty until you can smell it.
- Add the orange glaze and cook until thick. Add the seitan and coat in the glaze.
- Serve with rice and top with some more green onions and sesame seeds.