During the month of September I participated on a challenge that consisted in not eating meat that month.
I’m not an avid meat-eater, but it still was relatively tough sometimes, but so, so much fun.
This recipe is VERY easy and it can be adapted to whatever your needs may be.
You can use whatever kind of beans you want, I only had kidney beans at hand. Also, I really like to make them with tomato passata instead of barbecue sauce, although they were still delicious. Instead of couscous, you can use quinoa. The possibilties are endless!
If you make them, please share them with me by tagging @msizebite on instagram, so I can see them.
- 400 g Red beans or any kind of beans
- 42 g Couscous
- 85 g Barbecue sauce or tomato passata
- 30 g Breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Dried oreganos
- ½ tsp Cayenne powder
- Salt and pepper q.b.
- Submerge the couscous in boiling water and cover it. Leave it until it has absorbed all the water or until it's tender.
- Drain the beans and mash them until desired consistency.
- Add the barbecue sauce, the couscous, the breadcrumbs and the spices and mix it all up.
- Form the burgers and refrigerate for 5 minutes, just to make them a little bir more solid.
- Freeze for later or grill them to enjoy immediately.