I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for such a long time, it was long due. This blackberry galette is inspired by two recipes by Lyndsey Eden, this one and this one. I always felt that galettes look wonderful, so, actually trying to make it was, well, a little bit chalenging, but I made it work.
One of the things I changed about her recipe is the dough making process. Since I have a food processor, I thought it would be so much easier to cut the butter into the flour there. Also, in my opinion, blackberry and almonds (or any kind of berry and almonds!) are a match made in heaven, so, my pastry had a lot of ground almonds.
My dough chilled in the fridge overnight and I only made my filling the next day. That led to kind of an oopsie, cause I completely forgot to mix in the honey. My filling was so tart, that I had to accompany every slice with a dollop of vanilla soy youghurt to balance that. My bad!
Hope you try out this delicous galette, and PLEASE don’t forget the honey in the filling! If you do try it, share it with me by tagging @msizebite on Instagram.
Bye and happy baking!
- 120 g Ground almonds
- 128 g All-purpose flour or any other flour you want
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 170 g Butter chilled
- Cold water q.b.
- Slivered almonds optional
- Brown sugar optional
- 300 g Blackberries frozen
- 4 tbsp Honey
- Juice of half a lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- 4 tsp Cornstarch
- pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon optional
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger optional
- 1/2 tsp All-spice optional
For the pastry:
- In a food processor, add the flour, ground almonds, salt and baking powder and process until evenly combined.
- Cube the cold butter and add it piece by piece while the processor is running.
- If the mixture feels dry, add the cold water one tablespooon at a time and process until it doesn’t look too dry anymore.
- Remove from the food processor, form a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to chill for at least 30 min or overnight.
For the filling:
- In a bowl, add the blackberries, honey, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest and spices.
- Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200ºC.
- When the dough is chilled, remove plastic wrap and place the disc in the center of a sheet of parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough until it’s about 3 mm thickness and 20 cm wide. Try to mantain the circle shape.
- Pour the filling in the center, and pile it up a bit.
- With the help of the parchment, fold the outside of the circle of dough until it’s on top of itself but you can still see the filling. Repeat it until you have your desired look.
- Brush the galette with egg wash, sprinkle some slivered almods and brown sugar.
- Bake for 30-45 min or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.