Happy Valentine’s day and welcome to my first ever post! Thank you for reading.
So, let’s get to the important stuff, this cake. Last year I tried to make this cake to experiment with the combination of carrot and spices. Turns out, I absolutely LOVE that. Since then, I’ve made this several times. Also, in these cold winter months, something warming like spices, makes everyday better!
Madeleine Shaw’s recipe it’s pretty easy and almost everything is made in a food processor. I doubled the amout of carrots, added a little less sugar and upped the spiciness (as anyone should!).
I decided to split the cake in half and fill it with yoghurt, instead of just topping it. This brings a more acidic touch to the cake, which cuts down the sweetness perfectly.
This cake is a must have in your recipe repertoir if you’re looking for a healthier alternative for the traditional carrot cake.
If you try this recipe, please share it with me by tagging @msizebite on instagram! Hope you enjoy and until next time, bye!
Healthier Spiced Carrot Cake
- 175 g Brown sugar
- 150 g Coconut oil
- 3 Eggs
- 175 g All-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp All-spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 150 g Walnuts chopped
- 300 g Carrot shredded
- 200 g Plain yoghurt to fill and top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Grease and line a 20cm cake pan.
- Mix the sugar and coconut oil in a food processor.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, spices, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix them together.
- Fold the carrot and the walnuts into the mixture.
- Pour the batter in your cake pan and bake at 180ºC for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before dividing the cake in half and filling with half the yoghurt.
- Top with the remaning yoghurt and decorate with more chopped walnuts and a little sprinkling of cinnamon.